- Reports in Spain claim that Barcelona has switched gears on their quest for a new defender. Following Thiago Silva’s announcement of staying in PSG, the remaining options for the club seems to be David Luiz, and Daniel Agger. The problem is that Chelsea wants €46 million for Luiz, and Agger is in no rush to leave Liverpool.
- More from Barcelona: Javier Faus commented about Cesc Fàbregas’s future in the club: “He has a contract with Barcelona, the club wants him, and the coach wants him”.
Suárez worth €100 Million? Rodgers seems to think so: “last year Gareth Bale and Suárez were the 2 best players in the league, so you can’t say that Bale is worth double than him”.
- The Mirror, on the other hand, reports that in case negotiations with Cesc Fàbregas fails, Manchester United will turn to Bayern Munich in an effort to sign Bastian Schweinsteiger.
- Reports from Manchester United claim that Wayne Rooney will be making his official request to leave as early as this week: “It is clear to everyone that Rooney made his decision to leave the club. It has nothing to do with David Moyes, he just needs a new challenge”. Despite Chelsea’s interest in the player, United is hoping he will choose to play in a different league instead.
- Arsène Wenger believes that Arsenal can give a good run for the championship even without Luis Suárez: “I have no doubt, I’m sure it can happen. I’ll update if there’s any progress, we’ll go on with our usual behavior in the transfers, honorable and discrete”. The Sun claims that Wenger was heard saying “I’ll get Suárez” to a friend.
- Earlier on, Liverpool’s coach, Brendan Rodgers, hinted that his striker is worth £100 million: “Every player has a market value, and last year Gareth Bale and Suárez were the 2 best players in the league, so you can’t say that Bale is worth double than him”.
- Tottenham manager André Villas-Boas criticizes Real Madrid’s Carlo Ancelotti for the public interest in Gareth Bale: “I think Carlo made a mistake talking about it in public. All the rumors about the deal being closed are not true”. Recent reports claim that the previously reported record amount of €100 million has now risen to €120 million, and that Daniel Levy will not go on with the negotiations before Real Madrid agrees to the asked amount.
- The Daily Star claims that Pepe Reina will not be going back to Liverpool after his one year loan to Napoli, but transfer to Barcelona instead.
- Italy reports that Roma and Napoli are interested in Palermo’s striker Abel Hernández. Palermo’s President Maurizio Zamparini: “He stays with us, he’s not for sale”.
- Juventus started negotiations with Sevilla for the loaning of young midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia.
- The Mirror reports that Napoli is interested in Gareth Barry, whose contract ends next summer, from Manchester City. Napoli’s coach Rafa Benítez tried to get Barry when he was coaching Liverpool at 2008.
- England claims that Inter wish Patrick Vieira to be the club’s next coach, and that they are keeping an eye on his performance as Manchester City’s head of the youth department.
Done Transfer Deals:
- Newcastle made their first deal: The club finalized striker’s Bafétimbi Gomis’s deal with Lyon, for £8.7 million.
- The American forward Clint Dempsey is leaving Tottanham and going back to the USA to play in Seattle, as the club’s official website reports. It is claimed that the US club will pay €9 million for the player.
- Maruan Samak, who came to Arsenal with a bang and failed to deliver, will be loaned to Crystal Palace for 6 months.