Breaking News: Atlantic City Casinos Close for Hurricane Sandy
For the second time in just over a year, Atlantic City’s casinos are being closed down due to a hurricane.
Gov. Chris Christie has ordered all 12 of Atlantic City’s casinos to close by Sunday afternoon as Hurricane Sandy approaches.
This is the fourth time that casinos in Atlantic City have been shuttered; they were shut down for three days in August last year due to Hurricane Irene.
While Christie gave casinos until 4pm on Sunday to close their doors, many casinos decided to do so faster.
The two Trump casinos asked guests to check out by 11am and for the premises to be empty by 2pm.
However, some guests think that it is an overreaction. Mike Labarbera from New York City said that he thinks “it’s stupid. I don’t think it’s going to be a hurricane I think they’re overreacting.”
Atlantic City’s emergency management director, Tom Foley, recalled the storm from March 1962 which saw the ocean and bay meet in the centre of the city. He said that Hurricane Sandy is meant to be just as bad.
When casinos closed last year it cost an estimated $45 million of lost business, however, that was over an August weekend, this year’s closure is unlikely to be as costly.